- Q&A Best Bits - How to Set up a Social Franchise: A Roundup of Our Panel's Expert Advice and Analysis on Social Franchising
Nick Temple: Social franchising is one of many options: Social franchising might be one option for scaling or replicating proven models which might suit social enterprise well. It's not a panacea by any means, and it depends on the particular ...
(essay/opinion, webpage, 2011)
- Clinical Social Franchising Compendium: An Annual Survey of Programs, 2010
This second annual compendium of clinical social franchise programs is a testament to the rapidly growing and changing field of social franchising in developing countries. Forty franchises are profiled herein, ten of which are new additions to the ...
(directory/catalog, document (pdf), 2010)
- Franchising Healthcare: Introduction to HealthStore
This 4-minute video caselet introduces the HealthStore model, a micro-franchise approach to delivering quality healthcare in developing countries lead by the HealthStore Foundation. ...
(caselet/profile, video, 2010)
- Streams of Hope (Social Franchising: A New Path to Wealth for Nonprofits)
Streams of Hope examines the groundbreaking concept of social franchising and its potential to offer nonprofit organizations an unrestricted flow of funding to support mission activities. Authored and compiled by CWV, the report serves as both an ...
(toolkit/manual, document (pdf), 2009)
- International Social Franchising: A New Pathway to Independence for INGOs
Researched and written by a team of students from the NYU Wagner Capstone program, International Social Franchising considers the readiness and opportunities for international organizations to pursue social franchise strategies. It includes profiles of 7 ...
(research/study, document (pdf), 2009)
- Microfranchising at the Base of the Pyramid
This paper explains the whys and hows of microfranchising in low-income markets and builds on the efforts of Acumen Fund. ...
(case/model, text, 2008)
- WORTH and Social Franchising: Initial Research and Analysis
Broad macro trends indicate the growing importance and viability of micro-franchising as solution to poverty. However, social franchising (i.e. where franchisor is an NGO/social enterprise) remains a niche strategy. ...
(research/study, presentation, 2008)
- What Works: Scojo India Foundation (Restoring eyesight in rural India through the direct selling of reading glasses)
This case study is part of the World Resources Institute "What Works" series on effective social enterprises around the globe. In the case, the authors examine Scojo Foundation and identify the key drivers that make its social enterprise program ...
(case/model, text, 2007)
- Issues Relating to Replication and Franchising: From the "BEST (Benefiting the Economy and Society Through) Procurement" series
As a partner in the BEST Procurement Programme, the Leicester Community Action Network looked at social franchising and enterprise replication as a way of encouraging growth in the social enterprise sector, with particular focus on those enterprises that ...
(tips/guidelines, text, 2007)
- Training Africa's youths (Uncommon Heroes: Taddy Blecher)
Taddy Blecher was ready to emigrate from South Africa when he took a second look at his native country. "I saw aching poverty," he said, and he made a life-changing decision to do something about it. In 1999 he and his colleagues opened CIDA City ...
(caselet/profile, video, 2007)
- An Enterprising Failure: Why a promising social franchise failed
The co-author of this case study, Owen Jarvis, explains how his promising social enterprise, once proclaimed as the poster child of British social enterprise, failed as they expanded through franchising. This article is based on his experiences, ...
(case/model, text, 2006)
- Microfinance and Microfranchising: A Feasibility Study
This research team from The George Washington University conducted a comprehensive feasibility analysis for FINCA, an international microfinance organization, to examine the microfranchising phenomenon more closely and to determine how FINCA can harness ...
(research/study, text, 2006)
- Franchise Financing Strategy
Social Capital Partners has spent the past four years supporting social enterprises across the country and learning how to start and run businesses that balance dual missions. During that time we have worked with several talented social entrepreneurs and ...
(case/model, text, 2006)
- What Works: HealthStore's Franchise Approach to Healthcare (Harnessing the Profit Motive to Deliver Public Health in Kenya)
The case from the World Resources Institute's "What Works" series documents the business model of the HealthStore Foundation in Kenya. A non-profit organization, HS extends health services to under-served markets through a network of ...
(case/model, document (pdf), 2005)
- MicroFranchises as a Solution to Global Poverty
Essential monograph analyzing the causes, effects and solutions to world poverty. Highlights enterprise solutions to poverty with emphasis on the franchise business model which demonstrates remarkable strengths as a global poverty intervention. ...
(research/study, text, 2005)
- Applying Social Franchising Techniques to Youth Reproductive Health/HIV Services
In a commercial franchise, a company offers a blueprint of how to sell its product, and a local business buys the right to use the blueprint, usually in a particular geographical area under certain rules. The public health field has begun to draw on the ...
(research/study, text, 2003)
- The Story of Bobby Dodd Industries: Buyer beware
In this caselet, we learn how Barbara Massey from Bobby Dodd Industries escaped from a franchising nightmare -- and formed a partnership that works. ...
(caselet/profile, text, 2001)